Fiddler on the Roof - a Blessing on Your Head

During the first few years I lived here, I often went to the theater.  However, after awhile, I stopped going because most of the productions were amateur and of inferior quality.  So I ignored  a friend's recommendation to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Cameri Theater in Tel Aviv.  But she was persistent; for that, I owe her a debt of gratitude.  
The production which was first staged one year ago in honor of Israel's 60th birthday was meant to be a limited run - 60 shows in honor of Israel's 60th year.   The show was such a smashing success that it has been continued indefinitely.
To put it simply, this is the best I have seen in Israeli theater.  The sets, costumes, staging and performances could all rival a Broadway production (without the Broadway price ticket).  The show dialogue (including all musical scores) is in Hebrew. On certain days, the Cameri provides simultaneous English translation. Truth is that the dialogue and scores are so true to the English version that someone with very limited Hebrew will have no trouble following.
The performances are now sporadic now, as a result tickets sell out quickly but this is one show that is well worth the wait.

Fiddler on the Roof at the Cameri Theater - 19 Sderot Shaul Hamelech, Tel Aviv 
To order tickets:  03-606-0960 or go to www.cameri.co.il

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've seen different musicals many times and Fiddler was one of my best attended shows ever…I got a pretty good seat after comparing prices for Free from Ticketwood.com . It was really one of the most memorable shows with a beautiful, smooth-flowing set, gorgeous music and a super talented cast.